Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 13 of Being Sugar Free

I have to be honest with you that when I made the goal of being sugar free for two weeks I didn't think I could do it. Yes, the holistic health counselor does practice what she preaches though. I knew if the infected yeast was going to die that the sugar had to go, no ifs, ands, or buts. My bacteria became imbalanced through stress. It is so important to decrease the stress in our lives. Unfortunately, we do live in a fallen world, and we must have complete dependence on Christ in order to get through this life. Nonetheless some of our plates are way too full, and may be in situations that prevent us from removing items from our day to day activities be it work, church, volunteering, parenting, home management, and more.

Despite the fact that I didn't think I could do it, glory be to God, I have kept the sugar out by following the candida diet. What I would like to share are some foods that aren't traditionally considered to be high sugar foods, yet they hinder the healing process from a candida infection. Some foods that I didn't realize could bring me back to square one were beans and legumes. This has to do with the fact that we need the gut to be healing, and legumes and beans are on the more difficult side to digest. The other is with them is that beans are a carbohydrate, and carbohydrates get processed into sugar. So we need to eat foods low in carbohydrates, with lots of fiber that are easily digestible, so the fiber will help flush out the bad bacteria.

Keep in mind starving the yeast isn't enough. You'll have to put in practice some other courses of action like I mentioned last week with certain herbals teas such as Pau D'Arco, oregano oil drops, real vitamin C and olive leaf to boost the immune system, drinking lots of water, and if the infection is presenting itself externally then topical applications like plain yogurt, extra virgin coconut oil, and tea tree oil baths. Being diligent about taking a good probiotic supplement or if you are already taking one, increasing it, as well as eating fermented/cultured foods all aid this condition.

Here is one recipe I've been making, flat flax bread. The base recipe and instructions I received from my friend and fellow health counselor, Amy Huebner. I mentioned her blog in my post from last week. Here is one way I like to make them. Let me know if you make them, and you like them.

1 1/2 cups of ground flax seed
1 cup filtered water
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 tsp non irradiated garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds or 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Mix ingredients in a small stainless steel mixing bowl. Use coconut oil on a flat baking stone, like a pizza stone, and use a spatula to spread out flax mixture onto the stone. Bake for 20 minutes. You can use this like sandwich bread, just for a snack, for pizza, and its great with spreads on top like goat cheese or nut cheeses.

 Here is what the mixture looks like so if you try to make it you'll know what to expect. Below is the finished product. Feel free to change what you flavor the bread with here and there. you can make it more savory or sweet. The options are limitless, enjoy yourself, and have fun. It's an inexpensive, healthy, fast way to make gluten free flat bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment