Sunday, February 17, 2013

Superfoods: Kale

So are you kicking it with kale yet? No, it is not just the garnish on your plate. I've written about it before and I'm sure I will again. This my most favorite green! By far it is super nutritious and packed full of versatility! It is delicious, and anyone who says they don't like it hasn't had it made correctly. Please do try it if you haven't.

Kale is available at your regular grocery store, specialty market, farmers market, and easily grown in your backyard. You want to buy it organic or unsprayed from your local farmer. It grows well in the winter time and summer time even though it is a winter green. Since it is a winter green it is hardy and used to growing in difficult conditions. This life giving leafy green brings an abundance of calcium, vitamin C, vitamin K1, vitamin A, potassium. Kale also has some magnesium and phosphorus.

I love to eat it raw as well as cooked. It is my current favorite green for my smoothies. I fluctuate between it and spinach. Dehydrated it makes a lovely snack! Kale chips are how I get kale in my picky 12 year old. I throw it in soups, blend it for green soups, use it as my favorite base for salads, and love to sauté it in coconut oil with other veggies and beans.

Try this Crustless Quiche Recipe:

3 Large Leaves Organic Kale, remove leaves from stem and tear into pieces,
discard or eat stem :)
1/2 Cup Red Onion, diced
1 Fresh Garlic Clove, minced
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 Cup Tomato, diced
1/2 Cup Shiitake Mushrooms, diced stem and all
5 Organic Cage Free Eggs
1/2 Tsp Celtic Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1-2 Tbsp Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
Avocado

Prepare veggies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Sauté veggies, except for avocado, in cast iron pan or whatever pan you have in coconut oil
Beat eggs in a bowl, add salt and pepper
Pour veggies and eggs into ceramic or glass dish
Bake for 35 minutes, let cool a little for 5-10 minutes
Serve on plate with avocado slices on top!


No comments:

Post a Comment