Our gut, the worker bee for the digestive system, or the gastrointestinal tract is comprised of a tube that runs from our mouths down to the anus. Throughout the tract there are necessary hormones, bacteria, and enzymes that are necessary for a well operating machine.
In order to stay strong and vibrant, we need to be aware of the factors that damage our wall of defense, our immune system. The foundation is a mighty digestive system.
Here are 5 Ways Daily We Can Harm Our Gut:
1) Pharmaceutical Drugs: Prescription drugs at very intermittent times may have a time and place, especially in the case of warding off severe pain long enough to the body to a place where other methods can then be used to get to the heart of the issue, but they are not a permanent solution for life time issues. They do not heal or nourish, simple mask and cover. Often they come with a host of side effects and cause the body more negative issues. They cause confusion in the body. Use them rarely, and then so with care and caution. Antibiotics and vaccines are the worst offenders for destroying good digestive health.
2) Caffeine: It effects different people in different ways. Small amounts from healthy choices like organic green tea and organic dark chocolate usually is not a problem, and the health benefits from those foods evens the game a bit. Consuming caffeine daily, especially larger amounts though is bad news for the gut and our endocrine system.
3) Over the Counter Medications: While marketed as safe and helpful solutions for our day to day rounds, they are far from it. Drugs like acetaminophen are linked to blood cancers and liver failure. NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ibprophen, are linked to cancer, miscarriage, and cardiovascular trouble.
4) Processed Foods: While these are sold on the grocery store shelves all across the world, especially the United States, masked as foods, they are actually science projects drawn up in labs. They are inexpensive to produce and keep us sick, which keeps us going to the doctor and the pharmacy, and buying more over the counter medication and prescription drugs...do you see the connection?
5) Unmanaged Negative Stress: Our nervous, endocrine, and digestive systems certainly take a beating from unmanaged stress. Disregarding healthy ways to manage our emotions can lead to lower immunity then causing anxiety attacks, frequent colds, yeast infections, migraine headaches, unnecessary weight gain, and hormonal imbalances.
In follow up articles I will discuss ways to support our immune and digestive systems. Check in with my blog often. Learning how to support our bodies and taking control of our wellness is the only way we can truly have vitality and vibrancy in our lives. We need to our own best manager of our health. The more you pay attention to your body, treat it well, and eliminate poor patterns, the more intuitive you will become. You are truly your own best advocate! The journey can be daunting. Consider hiring a health coach as a guide and friend along the way. Contact me for more information on my health coaching program.
Helping you to be a good steward of your health!~Marie A, Brock, HHC