Friday, December 21, 2018

Vegan Variety



When plant-based is the priority it's nice to spice it up every once in a while and have something different than beans, lentils, or quinoa for protein. I am a huge proponent for consuming real, whole foods every day. I also understand first world food boredom and it can just be fun to do something different. That's where mock meats like these Beyond Meat bratwursts came in on Monday night's dinner.



The Cons
These fall under the semi-processed category. Obviously, it took a little work to procure a vegan brat. There was one questionable ingredient "natural flavor."



The Pros
On the flip side, I recognized all of the other ingredients, they are plant-based, carrageenan free, non-gmo, gluten free, soy free, canola free, and they eased a stressful day into a less stressful dinner time because they were extremely simple to cook in a saute pan. So they met all of my "can I eat that" requirements.They tasted good, we all enjoyed them. They are versatile, I could've created a lot of dishes with them. Choosing something like a mock meat every once in a while is truly fine. If it is relatively healthy, not over consumed say daily, it kept your meal plan plant-based if that's important to you, kept you from going thru the drive-thru window somewhere, you enjoyed the flavor, and it reduced your stress level, then I say GO MOCK MEATS!!!! They are also great transition foods for anyone trying to eat more plant-based meals or to make someone feel included at a certain party or gathering serving the animal-based version. Food is often accompanied by emotions so this could be a really healthy fulfilling food substitute for those ones you still love.



Truth

I decided to write this piece because I know there are people out there like me who are all or nothing. When you're in it, you're in it, and you commit. That's a great quality, but it can also become unhealthy when you are unable to be flexible. When I say flexible, I don't mean to compromise your health either. More so the flexibility to say what are my options, how do they serve me today, and what is the healthiest right now? In other words, it's healthier to eat dinner with a mock meat one night than to not eat dinner at all. The longer I walk on my healthy journey road the more I am trying to be nice to myself. Be kind to you.

Tips

I do draw a line in the sand with certain ingredients. I don't do canola oil even if it's organic, same with soybean oil, soy lecithin, gluten, cows milk/cheese, and typically natural flavor since it's a free for all, but I really wanted to write this article and give you all feedback. Do not assume all of the Beyond Meat products are the same though. Some have ingredients like some of the ones I just mentioned on my no no list. So be sure to be a food detective.

Have you tried any Beyond Meat products?

Helping you to be a good steward!

~Kingdom Health Coach Momma Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment