Monday, December 29, 2014

Sweet Potato Crust Quiche




I love the excitement of Christmas morning! Getting everything just right, preparing to read the story of the birth of the Lord out of the Bible with kids, singing Yeshua, Happy Birthday, and so on. 

I really enjoyed our small tree this year. The past few years I've not enjoyed the process of the tree at all or the lights outside, things of that nature due to convictions in my heart about paganism. I've allowed the kids to take out the tree though and decorate because well, He who is in me is greater than He who is the world. My God made the trees after all, and my sons know who the Christmas story is all about. We never did Santa or went overboard with gifts. So this year we actually gave away our artificial larger tree, and purchased a real tree to support the local farmers, as well as to keep it simple. Again, since the kids find this fun to do, I let them decorate it. 


My favorite part is celebrating the Lord in fellowship with friends and family. Below is picture of my dear sweet friend, Aly and I in the kitchen amidst food prep and chaos.


My joy after fellowship is feeding my loved ones well. I like to do new things in the kitchen since it is my happy place. While some people find cooking labor intensive, it is a source of creativity and stress release for me. So for a bit of inspiration I searched out some recipes. I decided upon an idea from Kelly at The Spunky Coconut. We love eggs in my house, and  quiche is always a hit here, but I desired a twist. That's exactly what Kelly gave me with her "Oven Omelette with Sweet Potato Crust." My filling is different. Here is my twist, I hope you like it!

I apologize for not taking better pictures of the process, but you're smart, you'll catch on I'm confident. 

Sweet Potato Crust Quiche

Ingredients:

1 Organic Small to Medium Sweet Potato, Peeled
1 Cup Organic Black Beans, Cooked
1 1/2-2 Collard Green Leaves, Chopped
3/4 Cup Quinoa, Cooked
1 Large Fresh Garlic Clove, Minced
8-10 Farm Fresh Free Range Eggs
1 Tsp Celtic Sea Salt
1/4 Organic Black Pepper
1 Tsp Organic Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Organic Turmeric Powder
3-4 Oz Soft Goat Cheese
1Tbsp Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil

Directions:

Preheat the oven for 350F.

Sauté the collards and minced garlic lightly in the coconut oil.

Whisk the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and turmeric in a bowl.

In a large pie plate, grease it a bit with some extra coconut oil, and put thin slices of the sweet potato, not layering, on the plate. (If you have extra slices, fry them up in a sauté pan in some coconut oil, yum!)

Put the beans, quinoa, and collards in the pie plate on top of the sweet potatoes. Then pour the eggs on top. Next crumble the goat cheese on the eggs and veggies. 

Bake it for 40 minutes. Then slice and serve hot. 

It's really super yummy and good for you. The quinoa I used was just left over from the day before. The sky is the limit.

I actually made two different kinds that morning. The other filling I used instead of collards, black beans, and quinoa was 1 1/2 cups of shiitake mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups frozen organic mixed bell peppers, sautéed in coconut oil. The other ingredients were the same. I wanted variety, plus I knew my mom would like one and my dad the other. I had all on hand, so it was easy. 

Let me know below if you try this recipe. Hope you and your family enjoy it! Be healthy and blessed! Helping you to be a good steward of your health!~Marie A. Ligorria



No comments:

Post a Comment