Saturday, June 2, 2018

What I Brought to the Birth Center for Lukas' Delivery



This is a long overdue post. When I was pregnant, a lot of people asked me what I was bringing with me to the birth center. I would say about a month before Lukas' delivery I started preparing my bag. Below I will go through what you see in the picture and why I brought it with me. Incidentally, I started this blog after shortly after having Lukas, but was unable to finish it due to adjusting to life with a baby again along with everything else. I'm so thrilled to be blogging again. I really missed it.

Diapers 

While we planned to cloth diaper, I didn't want to jump into something unfamiliar until we'd at least had our sweet one home for several days. A family member of ours always waited until the cord fell off to start cloth with her babies, that made sense to me, so I opted to try Earth's Best chlorine and fragrance-free diapers. I have to be honest, these did not really work well for us. I know some diapers do better on girls versus boys. I think this may have been the case. I swapped them out for Seventh Generation and I like them much better. (Update: We did cloth for 6 months and went back to disposables. At that point, we chose Honest diapers and when Thrive Market came out with their own brand of diapers we switched again, and have stuck with them. They are a great price and compare well to Honest in being safe and toxin free.)

Wipes

In the picture, you'll see BabyGanics wipes. I've since switched baby wipe brands as well to Young Living's Seedling's Baby Wipes. Young Living has a whole baby line now. It's really great. I'm obsessed with the wipes, they smell so good. I love them for hands on the go and to take makeup off too. They are truly the best wipes I've ever tried.

Essential Oils & Diffuser

I do not go anywhere without my essential oils. In addition to my go-to have to have with me everywhere case that is always in my bag, displayed above were the oils I blogged about here. I created a perineum skin regimen using the book Gentle Babies as a resource. I wanted to continue the regimen there in addition to using a few more oils for other needs to make our experience exceptional. They make our quality of life so much better emotionally and physically. I would never go back to not using them.

Due to the highest quality and standards, our family only uses Young Living Essential Oils. Did you know that Young Living tests their essential oils with a minimum of 11 tests 3 times at the begin of the process and 3 times at the end of the process? Did you know that Young Living does not use the land until it's been cleared of herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides for a minimum of 50 years? USDA organic standards are only 7 years clear. Did you know organic standards permit pesticide use, they are just "organic" pesticides, said to be much less toxic than conventional ones? Young Living doesn't use any pesticides. Did you know that you can visit many of the Young Living farms and distilleries? Did you know that as wholesale members you can even take part in the harvesting process? It all blows me away. There's nothing else like them.

Maxi-Pads

You really want to bring your own due to the same synthetic chemical problems with baby diapers. Conventional pads are loaded with toxins that can contribute to heavier bleeding and hormone disruption. I opted for the Seventh Generation brand since that's what Thrive Market carried. During the end of my pregnancy, I really appreciated anything that could be sent to my door. My belly was so big that it became difficult to drive.

Homeopathics

I am a huge fan of homeopathy. If you are not familiar with this wonderful form of medicine, then get acquainted. On a very basic level, it operates from the perspective of like to like. Treatments are extremely specific and they are lovely because they do not interact with anything. Although it is recommended by some practitioners to space out homeopathic treatments from essential oil usage. I used arnica pellets to support my body in pain and bruising reduction.

Water Bottle

I purchased a new water bottle due to the recommendation of my midwife. She advised me to use one with a straw so that I could easily sip the water instead of having to worry about tilting it during labor. I opted for the LifeFactory glass bottle with a straw. I love this bottle and still use it today. It is my favorite water bottle. I didn't want to sip my water from a plastic container. The birth center had a cold water filtration unit, so it was easy for my husband to fill for me.

Snacks 

At my natural birthing center, I was allowed to eat whenever I wanted. While I wound up not wanting to eat during labor, I was very hungry afterward. I packed a few organic Lara Bars and fresh fruit with me from home. I think fresh fruit is one of the most amazing gifts that you can give a new

Homemade Favorites

I love to make balms, butters, and herbal salves for the skin with essential oils and other natural, safe ingredients. In the picture you can see my Baby & Mama Salve, peppermint lipbalm, and my Belly Butter.

Where did you deliver your baby...at a hospital, birth center, or homebirth?

Helping you to be a good steward of your health,

Marie Brock, HHC




No comments:

Post a Comment