Friday, September 23, 2011

Washing Your Produce

So as I was coasting through my online forum for school I noticed someone's question about washing their fruits and veggies. She asked how to wash them, and if she needed to wash the organic ones. I thought I'd put below what I do for anyone reading this blog that has the same questions.

I wash both my conventional and organic fruits/veggies. Animals still pee and poop on the organics, and people still touch them. I make my own fruit/veggie wash. I do it two ways. I have a spray bottle that I purchased from Walmart. When I find a BPA free spray bottle I'll switch to that as well. I do one part filtered water, one part white vinegar, a tsp of baking soda, and a tsp of fresh lemon juice.

Mix this in a large bowl in the sink so that it doesn't spill over and make a mess. Then using a funnel pour into the spray bottle. That's great for individual pieces of fruit. For several pieces I use the solution in a larger amount in one of those dish buckets for the sink. Really I just eyeball it. Then I place all of the fruit in there, let it soak for 10-15 minutes, and then dry them off to put them in my fridge or fruit bowl.

Fruit and veggies don't last long around here, so I do wash it right away. Some people say not to wash until you're ready to use it, but we're always ready ;) I have two hungry boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment