Monday, December 30, 2013

Easy Veggie Patties



I love the simplicity of true health and wellness. It's not complicated. Eating real food, making sure it's mostly plant based, drinking lots of clean water, moving your body daily with exercise, and most of all staying in constant communication with God is what it comes down to in essence. 

In order to help myself keep things simple in our fast paced society while still trying to eat real food, I think it's super important to get into a routine of having certain foods prepared on a regular basis so you can easily grab them. For me this definitely includes organic brown rice, quinoa, and beans of some sort. These are integral to most of my meals. I usually use some type of bean each week and either brown rice or quinoa. Keeping veggies prepared is also really helpful; having them quickly cleaned and cut if I need to rush out the door is a huge bonus.

I love a good veggie patty. I refuse to call it a burger because truly a burger is made with meat of some kind. I'm not opposed to anyone eating a burger, just do yourself a favor and make it at home so you'll know what you're eating. I'm not a meat eater per say, but it's totally fine if you like it. Consuming unidentified objects that pretend to be food just doesn't appeal to me though...call me crazy! 

Veggie patties are delicious, versatile, and when made right should be fairly painless and easy. I adore them because you can make them with awesome textures and very savory. The sky is the limit and nutrition wise you can pack them with wholesome yummy goodness!

My favorite base for a good veggie patty is some type of bean, brown rice or quinoa, and eggs. After that add whatever you want to include. Spices and veggies whether sautéed a little bit or raw give the variety. It's a fantastic way to use up leftovers!

You can eat these on a bun if you want. I'm gluten free (GF) and choose not to mess with replacing what I used to eat before with GF versions of everything. Somethings I'm happy to live without, buns being one of them. Occasionally, I'll bake a loaf of GF bread. I prefer to eat mine on a large lettuce leaf, broken up on top of a salad, or just beside some veggies.

After you see how easy this is you might be making them all of the time. Kids will love these! Throw some homemade organic ketchup on it and your golden with your kiddo for sure! Feel free to double or triple the recipe. I've not frozen these, but I think they'd do fine.

Recipe yields about 3 patties.
Ingredients:

1 Cup Organic Cooked Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 Cup Organic Cooked Short Grain Brown Rice
1 Large Farm Fresh Egg
Small Handful of Organic Kale, chopped
1 Large Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 of a Purple Onion, chopped
1 Tsp Celtic Sea Salt
1/4 Tsp Fresh Black Pepper
1 Tsp Organic Ground Tumeric
1-2 Tbsp Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil (for sautéing on the stove)

Directions:

Add the brown rice and chickpeas to the bowl. You can totally blend or food process this part if you want to do so or use a masher like I did.


Mash the rice and chickpeas fairly well.   Some chunks are okay and welcome.


If you use your food processor for mixing then it's simple to toss in the egg, chickpeas, and rice; you can throw the veggies right in there with them or for more texture take the mixture out of the food processor, put it back in the bowl, and then add the veggies.


Next I put the egg and veggies in the bowl.


Mix it well with salt, pepper, and turmeric.

 
Form into patties and brown each side in the coconut oil in a skillet.


Then serve it up however you want! I love these with my homemade mustard and avocado!


Get creative and make this your own! I'll share another veggie pattie recipe soon. Be blessed, be healthy, and be a good steward.


No comments:

Post a Comment