Friday, June 10, 2011

Individual Obedience

"Don't you know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?"
1 Corinthians 3:18


Isn't it awesome that we have a Savior that wants to know each and everyone of us on an individual, close, and intimate level? Isn't it amazing that He chose you, on this very day, to go out and be a light for Him? If you are a believer, and you are reading this, do you understand the privilege it is to have His world view?

The closer each one us walks with and toward Christ poses the opportunity for us to hone in on our Shepard's lovely voice. Do you know what he is calling you to today? Don't ignore, investigate the call.

Here are my thoughts, take them or leave them...whatever. The deeper our walk gets with Christ the more He will call us to do. It might be a calling to be more quiet, and follow James 1: 19 "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry."

The last time I checked God was the same yesterday, today, and forever. Since Jesus is the Word according to John 1:1, and Jesus is God, then that would say to me that everything that God has ever said never changes. If I am not making sense or speaking truth please let me know. The last time I checked God didn't change His mind.

Therefore, doesn't this go for the Old Testament or Old Covenant? I ask because there are so many of us that like to choose verses in the Bible to adhere to, ones that seems better than others to us, or ones that may be easier for us. We are also so quick to judge others by what we deem worthy in our own eyes to be obedient to in the Word.

I bring this up because so often I'll get into discussions with dear brothers and sisters of mine, and they don't seem to understand why I do what I do, or more specifically why I eat how I eat. Not that I really need them to understand because quite frankly, I know why, Jesus knows why, and that's really all that matters.

I have decided to blog about this simply because I feel led, and maybe I'll help somebody else. Christians love to ditch the Old Testament. It saddens me because Christ is all woven through it, it is about Him. The commands in the Old are just are viable as the ones in the New.

Allow me to share what God has called me to and that is the diet spoken about in Leviticus. I love it when people say oh, you're just being legalistic...you're holding yourself under the law. It makes me want to giggle. I certainly do not eat this way to earn grace or attain my salvation. Wow, wouldn't I be in trouble?!!! That my friend is being legalistic, trying to be good enough to get to heaven and earn that crown.

Paul discusses this and he basically tells the disciples not to worry the Gentiles and new believers with any rituals or rules other than not eating food sacrificed to idols, or anything with the blood left in it. He has them focus on the greatest commandment. I wholeheartedly agree. Why should a new believer worry about what he or she puts in his or her mouth? There are too many other changes taking place, and what we consume in our mouths doesn't have bearing on our spirituality.

In the same token Paul never broke the law, He just like Christ himself, followed the law. Jesus said that He came to fulfill the law, not to change it or break it. Jesus was always obedient to the Father in every way. That included what He ate.

This is how I figure it, if God said do this, then we should try to do it if we can and are willing. If it is not "doctrinal" then really it's all personal, and what your Jesus calls you to individually. For instance it may not be a sin for Joe to take a drink at dinner. Joe has never exploited alcohol, he just likes a cold one every now and again. No harm, no foul. On the other hand if Jim, who has shown himself to have a problem, takes a drink at dinner, and God has shown him that this is a stumbling block for him, then for Jim it is a sin.

Our Father always gives us what is best. He knows how we operate, He built us from scratch. Science supports this with digestion, and the way other cultures eat. That makes sense since God made Science :) The Jews for so long were one of the healthiest cultures around due to their diets and hygienic practices.

I realize that modernized people have since caught on that yes, washing your hands is an awesome practice. In fact, our country in particular has actually taken it way too far on the side of the spectrum with cleanliness to our detriment, but that's another post.

The Lord has most definitely taken me on a journey, and continues to do so with food, health, and nutrition. If you want to read my "story" you can look it up here on the blog. It's June 2010 series of 8 posts entitled, "Why I Care So Much About What I Eat." The underlying message though is obedience. The Lord said if you love me, obey my commands. That should be the only reason why we obey, our love for Him. All this to say, eat what works for you, don't mock those that don't eat what you do, love one another as you love yourself, and if you're eating something yummy, tell me about it here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment