Monday, June 6, 2011

Simple Kale Salad, but Sooooo Yummy!

So my boys and I enjoyed wonderful fellowship last night with some great church family. In the midst of conversation one friend asked about the kale salad that I had made awhile back for a potluck. This is a pretty standard recipe in the raw food world, but it's one of my favorite things to eat. I eat this several times per week. I figured I'd pop it up here for the world to see as well as my friend who made the request :)

For the salad you just take a bunch of raw kale, it can be red/purple, green, or dino kale (which is green and looks like the skin on a dinosaur) it doesn't matter. Kale is an excellent source of calcium, so way better than homogenized and pasteurized milk from the store. No, milk does not always do a body good. It is a cruciferous vegetable, like broccoli, which means it cleanses the blood well.

Slice the leaves down each side as not to include the stem. Then tear the leaves into pieces. You can leave the stems if you like, but I prefer just the leaves. You can always compost those stems. Place into large bowl. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the kale. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the kale as well. Massage the kale with the lemon juice and olive oil in the bowl with the hands. Trust me this makes a big difference in texture and flavor.

Dice some red onion, ripe but a bit firm avocado,and tomato. Place these in the bowl with the kale. Drizzle a touch more olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss altogether with sea salt to taste.

I dare you to tell me that you don't like this...I just dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment