Saturday, May 26, 2018

Getting the Plastic Out....My New Fav!



We live in a world full of plastic. We have not eliminated it completely from our kitchen, but have drastically reduced it. I realize that plastic is lighter and way less breakable as well as less expensive than glass. There's a price to pay for that convenience that in the grand scheme of things is simply not worth it. An extremely expensive problem with plastic is the potential of cancer, hormone disruption, and auto-immune disease.

We are fortunate that more and more options are coming on the market with natural, safer materials that are more convenient to carry. We use glass to store most of our foods at home that go in the fridge, especially cooked foods. Sometimes we run out of space or use all of our containers. It's those times when we default to plastic bags. The ones at Target are BPA free by the way. I truly dislike using them though, so we avoid it at all costs. BPA is only one toxin that plastic contains, it's not all of them. Plastic bags are also not eco-friendly at all. As much as we can within reason we aim to be good stewards of all God has given us here.

I wanted to share a new favorite of mine. I'd been eyeing them for a while. I love them for to go options as well as fridge storage. They are storage bags made from 100% pure platinum grade silicone (that's better than food grade as far as safety) from the company Stasher. They do not contain any BPA, BPS, lead, latex, or phthalates. While I'm not a fan of cooking/heating in silicone, I feel safe using it for room temperature or cooled foods.

They are reusable, seal beautifully, and come in pretty colors...so fun! They only currently have them in snack, sandwich, and half-gallon sizes. New sizes will be released soon. I purchased mine first through Thrive Market at 30% off, but right now they only carry sandwich size. If you want the other sizes, then you can get them on the Stasher website. I would personally purchase them through Thrive Market first, and see how they work for you. I think that you will love them. I'd love to know what you think about them. I'm looking forward to larger sizes in the future. While I'm an affiliate for Thrive Market, I'm not one for Stasher, so whether you get them through Thrive Market or not, I do hope you try them because they have really filled a need in our kitchen for us. 

What are your plastic-free solutions in your kitchen and the rest of your home? Feel free to let us know your ideas in the comment box below.

Have a fabulous day!

Helping you to be a good steward of your health,

Marie Brock, HHC

No comments:

Post a Comment