Monday, May 28, 2018

Vegan Gluten Free Pasta Primavera


Some of my favorite meals are simple and plant-based. That is exactly what I needed last night something light, but super nourishing. Dishes like this are great because you can be flexible with whatever you have on hand typically unless the fridge is naked. I've been there :) 

I do not have a fancy story or meaningful experience to go along with this one. So I am going to get right to the recipe for you. I have always loved pasta and I do not intend to ever give it up. I am so glad that there are healthier options available today to enjoy it. We eat gluten free organic pasta probably once per week, sometimes we skip it, but we are a family on budget eating clean, so pasta helps to create a lower budget meal. I do not like to overdo it or eat too much though because it isn't the highest with nutrition.


I was craving a highly plant-based tasty meal for dinner, but I needed it to be quick. Quick equals sauteed veggies and either quinoa or pasta. This time I reached for pasta. I like to change up the gluten-free pastas that we use. My teens' favorite is the Trader Joe's organic brown rice penne. When they are at their Dad's house, I like to do something different and use organic red lentil pasta. I use Trader Joe's gluten free pastas because they are the most economical, and they cook up the best. 

The diced tomatoes I use are from a company called Jovial. I really love them because of two important factors they are organic and packaged in glass. This is very important from a health aspect with tomatoes especially. Many conventional tomatoes today are genetically modified. When we eat genetically modified foods we are not giving our bodies the nutrition it needs, and we are eating toxins that cause unhealthy mutations in our guts causing digestive and immune system distress. I used to buy tomatoes in cans until I learned that the acid that is in the tomatoes causes the cans to leach and creates a toxic reaction. The best way to eliminate that is to only purchase tomato products in glass. I order mine from Thrive Market to save money.


You can use the veggies you have in your fridge at home and what works for you. Do not limit yourself, have fun!


In case you've never used nutritional yeast before I wanted to show you the package. I also like the brand Braggs (the same as the raw apple cider vinegar). Nutritional Yeast is an inactive yeast, that offers vegan dishes a cheesy like flavor. I use this in a lot of my recipes. Try throwing it in sauces, soups, and on top of sauteed veggies. You can even make a vegan parmesan substitute with it. Check out that recipe here.


I adore this stuff! Coconut aminos is an excellent condiment to replace unhealthy soy sauce. It has a taste crossing soy sauce and teryaki sauce with much, much less sodium. It is a sustainably harvested product and tastes so good! I use it in so many recipes. As you can see I purchase the Thrive Market brand. I really love getting high quality healthy grocery items at Thrive Market. It is convenient since the items are sent right to my front door, shipping is free with a $49 order, and the items are always less expensive than the local store.

V/GF Pasta Primavera Recipe

Ingredients:

1 Package of Trader Joe's Red Lentil Pasta 
2 Organic Yellow Squash, diced
2 Organic Zucchini, diced
1 Red Onion, diced
3 Fresh Garlic Cloves, minced
3 TBsp Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
1 Jar Jovial Brand Organic Diced Tomatoes
3 Tbsp Trader Joe's Nutritional Yeast
1 Tsp Himalayan Salt
1/2 Tsp Dried Organic Basil
1/2 Tsp Diced Organic Oregano
2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (I used Thrive Market's brand, but the Coconut Secret brand is great too)
*Optional: Pinch of Organic Cayenne

3 Handfuls of Organic Baby Spinach

* Optional: Sprinkle with Organic Pine Nuts in the serving bowl.

Directions:

Cook the pasta according to the directions. While it's cooking chop the veggies. Strain the noodles. Saute the veggies in the same pot. Add all of the fresh veggies (except for the spinach) and oil. Once the veggies have softened well add the noodles back in the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients from the tomatoes to the cayenne and mix them well and cover on the lowest heat for 8 minutes. Add the spinach, and once it wilts it is ready to serve. Top with pine nuts if you like them. 

*Healthy Tip: Get your kids in the kitchen to help make this with you. They will be more inclined to eat the veggies if they work hard to prep it. Tell them the nutrients each food contains that you are using. 

Helping you to be a good steward of your health,

Marie Brock, HHC



No comments:

Post a Comment